Friday, May 16, 2008

The Comeback

First it was in February of 2008 that I picked up my horn and started "messing around" and I have been hooked ever since. In the few months I have gotten a good sound, increased my range a bit, but my endurance stinks, although I can feel myself getting stronger week by week.
My goal is to become a better jazz trumpet player, not necessarily a pro or anything, but it would be nice to get paid to play every once in a while. I would like to eventually join a band or something like that. I have 2 horns, a Bach student model I've had forever, and a Holton Collegiate that I just picked up.
I will get a Bach Strad eventually, but my student Bach works for me. My range is a consistent high C and sometimes above. My practice routine is buzzing, air kicks/slurs, scales, tunes/improv. playalongs, and I practice for about a hour each day, taking atleast 2-3 breaks during practice.
I remember a quote from a really great trumpet player by the name of Miles after he quit and came back..."Some days I feel louzy...but it came back"...I agree with that statement, although the more I let my chops rest, the more I suprise myself with my playing.
I started playing in 8th grade in junior high, and played through high school, and really enjoyed playing jazz. I won a few awards for my playing, nothing great or anything, but I sounded ok, although I never focused on practicing much, I just wanted to play jazz. Today I spend half my practice time on skill/technique.

My favorite trumpet players are Chet Baker, Miles Davis, Tom Harrell, Doc, and Sean Jones, who I actually played with in the same band in a all state all star band in high school.
I am looking forward to sharing my journey on the trumpet.

No comments: